Friday, October 28, 2011

I've Got the Tiger by the Toe

Good news! I finished the short story I will be posting on Halloween and it clocked in at around 1,220 words, which is 220 words over the goal I had set for it. You'll have to wait until Monday to read it, but I will give you some sneak peeks. 1) It is about faeries. 2) There is a kissing scene. 3) There is a chase scene.

It's not as scary as you'd expect a Halloween story to be, but it is pretty thrilling if I do say so myself. I finished the first draft today, went over it and did a round of edits, and it is now with my buddy Pam, and after I get feedback from her (and probably change some stuff), it will be ready to be posted! I'm still trying to figure out a title for the story.

NaNoWriMo update: I still haven't really plotted out Charmed, my NaNoWriMo book. And now I'm not 100% sure that Charmed is the book I will be writing. I'd better figure that stuff out, since NaNoWriMo starts on Tuesday.

Recently, I found this blog post by C.J. Omololu, author of Dirty Little Secrets, about how to write a novel in 90 days or less. I found it extremely informative, and in case you don't want to read the whole blog post, I will sum it up: write 1,000 words a day. Every day. No exceptions. And if you write 4,000 words one day, you still have to write your 1,000 the next day. Also, make sure you have at least a basic outline of the main plot points in your book before writing. Let the idea sit for a while before writing it.

So yeah, I think I'm going to try this technique for my next book I write, which will be my NaNo novel. But instead of 1,000 words, I'm going to have to write at least 1,667 a day. I was able to do it last year, so I shouldn't have a problem. My main issue is going to be plotting the book before I write. I had a basic outline for my NaNo book last year, and that didn't go so well.

So who knows. I should have decided on a NaNo book to write by tomorrow, so stay tuned for that. Also, don't forget about my short story which will be posted on this blog on Halloween.

Bis bald! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for helping me reach my dreams!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Greymouse Kind of Magic kit by Irene Alexeeva