Tuesday, November 29, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Day 29

One. More. Day. Those are the best words ever right now. As exciting as it is to have another novel nearly under my belt, this month has been super hard. Last year, it was easy as pie, but this year it hasn't been nearly as simple to accomplish.

But looking back, I was ready to give up just a few days ago, when I was nearly 20000 words behind. But I didn't quit, thankfully, and now I am nearly all caught up. I'm still behind, but I will write those final words tomorrow, and I will win NaNoWriMo. And it will be an amazing feeling.

I don't think I'll be able to wrap up my NaNo in 50,000 words, it will probably be about 55,000, which is about how long my NaNo last year was. I am nearing the end of this first draft, though, and I am so ready to finish it.

My plan right now is to finish this book, let it sit for the month of December, while working on other stuff. One of the publishers I intern for is opening for submission the first day of December, and I will start working on another book in December, and will write that (at a slower pace than my NaNo book, of course).

Then in January, I will edit this NaNo. I am at a complete loss at what exactly editing a rough draft really means, and I am freaked out. I think that's a big problem with my book last year, was that I was too scared to edit. So, if anyone out there has edited a book, WHERE DO I BEGIN? And where do I go from there?

So, one more day. I am going to win NaNoWriMo tomorrow, and it feels amazing.

Words written today: 3339
Total word count: 46696
Recommended word count: 48333

5 comments:

  1. I'm nowhere near a professional, but I've edited my fair share of manuscripts. And what I've learned is this: one must start at the beginning to make it to the end.

    Crazy, right? My method involves a read through of the manuscript no matter how painful or excruciating it is. During this first pass, I just correct grammar nuances, sentence structure, insert minor--- MINOR--- fixes for transitions and sentence flow, etc. JUST so I can see what the manuscript is about, what it contains, what's good, and what needs to be changed.

    So it's no surprise that while I'm going through this first pass, I have three pieces of paper sitting off to the side. One says, THINGS I LOVE! (exclamation point and all). This is to remind me of all of the things, characters, lines, moments, and reasons why I LOVE this project. Why I MUST share it with the world (see Stephanie Perkins' blog post on "love lists"). Another says, THINGS THAT MUST CHANGE! in which I gently chide--- I mean, remind--- myself of characters that need more development, scenes that must be taken out, scenes that should be added, etc. The BIG changes go down on paper. The little changes get written in all caps on the manuscript itself (i.e. if I need to add a kiss scene that won't need me to change a million other things in the manuscript, I type ADD A SMOOCH! where I want to add a smooch). I'm a little bit of a freak when it comes to edits so I have a different color for ADD, EDIT, and TAKE OUT. My method is not for everyone.

    And then the final page is THINGS THAT OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME where I compile stuff from my Beta readers and use it to guide me through that first read through. So and so might tell me Bob is a flat character. So I'll look for that as I read and if it's true, I'll make note to change that, but if I like Bob the way he is, I won't have to.

    And then it's time for the second read through where all of the changes are implemented. I can file away sheet number three and I have to post up sheet number one for support... But sheet number two and I get down and dirty. Then after we're done, I let it sit for a week (and sometimes two or three, or, yes, even a month) and then I read it through WITHOUT TOUCHING THE KEYBOARD. And THAT is my method. Pretty crazy, but for me, it works.

    Don't worry. You'll find what works for you. There are so many ways to do this, it's ridiculous. But you're right; first, you have to finish. And tomorrow, it's going to happen. I'm ready to see that progress bar in the sidebar hit 100%!

    This is our penultimate adieu. I'll miss being your cheerleader, Sir; Team Alex was an awesome team to be a part of. But you--- YOU did it! Not me! So although I'll miss cheering you on, I'm not going to be sad about it. You. Did it. I'm so freaking proud of you!

    Ciao for now,
    Deserae

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was first released for Windows Vista and then available for download. other operating systems It was originally designed as an attractive interface for DOSBox, it offers all the games in one application.
    https://maccracked.com/push-video-wallpaper-crack/
    https://windowscrack.net/decipher-backup-browser-crack/
    https://hdlicensed.com/planswift-crack/
    https://cracks4soft.com/launchbox-premium-crack/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goood Working...Thanks for shairng keep it up!
    Mackeeper Crack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work done by your self .. i really appreciate your work and effort on this content. i hope that you will continue this effort.
    XARA PHOTO & GRAPHIC DESIGNER CRACK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for helping me reach my dreams!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Greymouse Kind of Magic kit by Irene Alexeeva